Sunday 26 May 2019

My girlfriend is an evil witch who turned me into a goblin and made me love her for it

Further thoughts on magic house rules for Knave.

The idea is to make magic more accessible by giving characters the opportunity to learn spells, instead of casting by reading from a spellbook.  The further idea is to have learned spells burn a tangible resource, because if it's the cheapest tactic in the game characters would be silly not to use it for everything.  Spell components don't have to be rare or expensive, but it seems to me it would be in the spirit of the Knave rules if gathering them is a mini-adventure all by itself.

When a character learns a spell, the player rolls on the table below to see what mundane resource it requires.  Each of these items should be available in pretty much any settlement where the characters are likely to find themselves.  Several of the same item would fit in a single inventory slot. Gathering them may require some fast talk, petty crime or an act of public nuisance, but none of them would be out of reach to tomb-raiding adventure-seeking ne'er-do-wells.
  1. A strand of the magic-user's hair, knotted around a pebble from the last river they crossed.
  2. A mystical sigil, drawn in soot from a widow's hearth.
  3. A nail-paring from a left-handed man.
  4. A tine broken from a rich man's fork.
  5. The echo of a child's laughter, captured in a clay jar.
  6. A black chicken feather.
  7. A stone taken from a crossroads.
  8. A pickled onion.
  9. A feather from the fletching of a used arrow.
  10. Moss from a grave marker.
  11. A shard from a pot broken by a baker's wife.
  12. A coloured stone used in a child's game.
  13. A wheat stalk from the last hour of the day's reaping.
  14. A bone from a fish served to a judge.
  15. The tail of a rat killed by a calico cat.
  16. A thread cut from a coat on a church's steps.
  17. A boiled sheep bone.
  18. Tallow from a candle burned by a fishmonger.
  19. A lie spoken by an aunt.
  20. A needle used to sew a bridal veil.

Wait, what was that about my girlfriend?


"You're totally a goblin."

"But... you bought me most of the dice I own.  And hand-sewed my dice bags.  And found me the book sale where I got half my games."

"I know."

"You're an evil witch."

"I know."

No comments:

Post a Comment