This stronghold protects a:
- A ferry or bridge
- A forest
- A trade road
- A border route
- A mountain pass
- A temple
An advantage is:
- An underground stream below the castle.
- Extensive cellars, cool and dry.
- Good farming land nearby.
- Vantage points overseeing all approaches.
- Old-growth trees for timber.
- Protected from weather by a rock outcropping.
A problem is:
- Crumbling masonry.
- Too small for the numbers it needs to shelter during a siege.
- Top floors of the keep were destroyed by fire.
- An infestation of vermin.
- The building is cursed.
- The lord is deathly ill.
Money raised by:
- Charging a fee to passing merchants.
- Taxing the local community.
- Operating a silver mine.
- A provision of the king.
- Contributions from wealthy landowners.
- Pillaging locals and kidnapping for ransom.
A historical fact is:
- A previous lord was killed in a mutiny.
- A previous siege was broken by attackers catapulting diseased corpses over the walls.
- Troops here won a famous victory against enemy forces.
- The current lord's family were murdered by a witch he insulted.
- A demon was imprisoned in the dungeon for many years.
- The stronghold was used to test a new magical weapon. It failed.
An outside threat is:
- Bandits making hit-and-run raids on locals.
- Monsters preying on isolated people.
- Enemy forces just across the border.
- Seasonal weather will soon make the terrain impassable.
- A plague is spreading through the area.
- Raging fires.
An inside threat is:
- A tunnel from the outside has been dug into the cellars.
- The priest is a secret member of a heretical sect.
- The farrier is an enemy agent prepared to poison the horses.
- Most of the stored grain has been stolen.
- The guards' discipline is lax.
- The lord is mad.